tips and tricks to care for your bag
KEEP YOUR BAG LOOKING LOVELY
Here are Roanne's top tips for keeping your bag looking lovely and lasting the distance.
- Light coloured leathers should be treated with extra care – avoid wearing your new dark denim jeans with a white or light coloured bag as dye can (and probably will) rub off on to the leather. Denim dye is as stubborn as a mule and will refuse to budge.
- White Handbags are extremely sensitive to light, and the leather will turn a yellow-ish colour if it is exposed for too long to spotlights and fluorescent lamps.
- Avoid handling your bag after applying foundation, perfume, body or hand creams. The oils in these products can stain the leather.
- When out and about or at your fave restaurant, hang your bag on the handbag hook or over your chair, don’t place it on the floor. As well as being grubby, floors are often rough surfaces and will potentially scratch the leather.
- Wearing a bag often will inevitably result in rub marks over time where the leather brushes against your clothes. We recommend having your fave bags on high rotation to avoid constant rubbing and wear on one bag.
- If your bag has a chain handle, dirt may accumulate in the chain links causing it to come off on your shoulder. You can avoid this by cleaning the chain with a small toothbrush or the corner of a soft cloth. Always store the chain inside the bag to avoid any scratching or indentations on the leather.
- Brass or silverware cleaner will keep your fittings looking shiny. Take care not to get any on the bag!
- Keep fasteners and zips running smoothly by running pencil lead over the open teeth of your zip.
- Remember, leather does not like water. Wipe off a wet leather handbag immediately and let air dry. Never use a blow dryer to dry a bag.
HOW TO STORE YOUR BAG
To help your bag keep its shape, it is best to fill (but not overfill, remember…) your bag with cloth or bubble wrap and store it in the dust bag provided to keep it safe between outings. When your bag isn’t out and about, store it out of direct sunlight.
Take your bags out regularly and let them ‘breathe’ to prevent any dust and mildew forming.
A LITTLE TLC WILL ENSURE YOUR HANDBAG STAYS AROUND FOR LONGER. SHOW YOUR BAGS THE LOVE THEY DESERVE!
You can find our favourite leather care products here and at our Ponsonby and Newmarket boutiques.